Lying on the top berth on a train to Benaras when I was about 10 years, I happened to wake up in the middle of the night to a strange buzzing sound coming from the berth on the other side. In the shadowy blue night lamp, I had my first encounter with a vibrator- being used by a woman in that berth.It was the 1980s. Our adolescence did not prepare us for our sexuality. Without the world wide web of information, we came to terms with the desires of our bodies mostly through whispers and hearsay, giggles among girls in hushed bathrooms and quickly reading through those well-thumbed pages of banned and forbidden books which unfailingly found their way into the strictest of convent schools.Since you could not speak to anyone about how your body and its needs were changing, explorations were made through trial and errors, sharing snippets with trusted girlfriends. As some of us started discovering various techniques of self pleasure mostly using our fingers, we also began using items we found around the house that we thought might intensify or bring variety to our experiences. I remember discarded perfume bottles and empty talcum powder tins being quite popular those days. They were all our first companions of pleasure.I discovered the world of sex toys - what I love to call companions of pleasure or simply pleasure toys, much later in life.A friend gifted me a ‘bullet’ – a small vibrator for clitorial pleasure that looked like a lipstick and could be kept quietly in a purse. This was his gift to me on reaching true adulthood, he said – now that I was a financially independent woman. He was always a shocker and loved provoking people, so I took this as one of his antics. I felt a bit awkward too and laughed a little too loudly, I think. But this friend was a dear soul mate and gently told me that he knew I liked new experiences and I could treat this as just that. If I did not like it, I could always throw it away.I decided to try it out. But I had many apprehensions. Would it hurt? Would it feel strange? Would I tell my boyfriend? How would he react? But I was excited as well at the possibility of a new experiment.At first it felt strange. But soon I realised the pleasure was quite unlike what I had felt before - and using it was rather easy. My boyfriend turned out to be really supportive as well. It was the start of a whole new journey for me. I had found my special bundle of joy.Starting from here, these personal sexual explorations widened. I looked up websites, checked out shops in cities where I could find them, spoke to friends who used them and read up on them. I discovered a whole world – no a universe of pleasure toys! Soon I was buying not just for myself, but had also become a sort of an amateur advisor to many of my friends. Sex toy consultant, a start-up dedicated to pleasure! It was exciting and intriguing like any new expedition, giving me a deeper understanding not only of what sexual pleasure meant for me, but for different people. It was a beautiful kind of fun to go on a hunt for the perfect piece for a dear one.Pleasure toys did many things for me. First, as toys, they brought ‘play’ into my sex life - something that was light and fun and creative. In a deeper sense, they became companions for my desire, enabling me to discover my body and its needs. Sometimes they pushed me to experiences that I could only have for the first time if I knew I was the one in control - things that I may not have been immediately comfortable sharing with my partners. For instance I have often felt shy and uneasy enjoying pleasure during menstruation unless my partner is very encouraging. However, with a toy it becomes so much easier to experiment with the messiness of those days. It also opened me up to various kinds of sexual possibilities as well, that impacted my relationships with my partners. My experiences with acts or positions I had picked up from readings of erotica were tried out with toys first. In a world where the woman’s body is constantly put in restraints or threat for its sexual desires, the world of pleasure toys truly gave me new ways to express my freedom. A safe emotional passage to the freedoms of sexual pleasure.Many people hesitate to buy and use pleasure toys. I had issues with a foreign object being used intimately. A friend shared how she felt using toys made her feel embarrassed since it pointed to the sexual needs that she could not satisfy fully with her partners. There are others who feel guilty as if it’s a kind of cheating. It is also often not seen as normal or natural. However, as a person who has used them I have seen how important this is - what frontiers of knowing one’s own body this can open up for women who are never encouraged to think of themselves as sexual, to identify their sexual desires. We are supposed to passively receive sexual desire – according to some. But we are not supposed to do so according to nature.Thus, I have decided to share my pleasure toy guide, as a Woman’s Companions of Pleasure. (While I have bought a few toys for men too, I have limited understanding of their preferences or even the range of devices available for them.)A BRIEF GUIDE TO A WOMAN'S COMPANIONS OF PLEASURE
- How to buy: Online or Offline
- What to keep in mind while buying: Purpose, price, occasion, aesthetics and safety
- Challenges? Yes of course
- BULLET VIBRATOR: Small, handy, powerful, this little buddy can get you from simmer to tremor in as much time as you need. Available in many slightly different contours and colours, this can be battery driven or rechargeable. Once done, you can just slip it back in your purse like your lipstick.
- DILDO: The simplest of them all, a basic phallic shaped toy for vaginal pleasure. There are various models available in different colours, movable parts, speeds and mechanics with or without strap-ons. But the basic is still a woman’s good friend in need.
- Rabbit Vibrator: This is double trouble - for either vaginal or clitoral pleasure, or both at the same time. It is a must for every woman who enjoys pleasure. It can be used single handedly, and is easy to clean and store.
- Love Eggs: A small vibrating egg that can is meant to be inserted for vaginal or anal pleasure. Available with various speed adjustments, you can leave it in for as long as you like, until it's hit your special groove.
- Anal Beads: Now, the last one is for the slightly more adventurous. If one wants to foray into exploring anal pleasure, this is perhaps the easiest place to start. This too is available with or without remote or wire control for various speeds, but the simplest, manual one too is a great way to begin enjoying the pleasure.